Important Dos and Don'ts
Water Damage Tips
(for clean water only)
- If possible, shut off water source
- Remove excess water by mopping
- Do Not use a regular vacuum to remove water
- Keep out of areas with safety concerns (Sagging ceilings, etc.)
Fire Damage Tips
- Keep hands clean
- Limit movement to avoid further damage
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator
- Do Not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting a SERVPRO Professional
Defending against Mold Growth
(Prompt Mitigation is vital to avoid mold growth which can be visible in as little as 24 to 48 hours under certain conditions)
- Keep the humidity between 30 to 60 percent
- Provide for proper drainage away from building foundations
- Regularly inspect plumbing and appliances for leaks
- Keep gutters and drains clear of debris
- Inspect the roof, windows, and other areas where water might enter the building, and perform necessary maintenance
- Respond to all water intrusions immediately
Types of Fires and How to Put Them Out
Did you know there are at least five different types of fires? Each fire class requires specific methods to extinguish. Keep your home or business safe by keeping on hand the right types of equipment that are designed to put out specific types of fires.
Below is a quick run down of the types of fires and the ways to put them out;
- Class A Fires - Extinguish with water
- Ignites from common fuel sources, like wood, trash, fabrics, paper, and plastics
- Class B Fires - Extinguish by depleting oxygen
- Result from an explosion of flammable liquids or gases
- Flammable liquids: paint, tars, alcohol, oils, solvents, gasoline, and kerosene.
- Flammable gases: butane and propane
- Class C Fires - Extinguish by cutting power
- Electrical fires
- Common causes: space heaters, faulty wiring, outdated appliances and lights, transformers, motors, and overburdened surge protectors
- Class D Fires - Extinguish with dry powder agents
- Sparked by combustible metals
- Combustible metals: titanium, magnesium, sodium, lithium, aluminum, and potassium
- Class K Fires - Extinguish with chemical fire extinguisher
- Cooking fires, Grease fires
- Sparks from grease, lard, olive oil, butter, animal fats, and vegetable fats
Water Damages due to Storms
A water damage of any kind can be absolutely devastating, but storms in particular tend to do the most overall damage. SERVPRO understands the headaches that come along with dealing with a catastrophe. Below is an overview of the restoration process;
- One Hour - Within one hour of notice of loss, a SERVPRO Professional will contact you to arrange for service
- Four Hours - Within four hours of loss notification, a SERVPRO Professional will be on-site to start mitigation services. The key to reducing damage and saving money is responding quickly to your damage.
- Detailed Explanation - A trained, uniformed and equipped SERVPRO Professional will walk you through the job process step-by-step, explaining what to expect and the anticipated outcome.
- Pretesting - A SERVPRO Professional will begin pretesting for restorability, working from the source of the damage outward.
- Eight Hours - Within eight hours of on-site arrival, a verbal briefing of the scope will be communicated to the appropriate person.
- Cleaning and Restoration - SERVPRO Professionals will work to help you regain control of your property when a damaging event has taken over.
- Final Walk-through - After the work has been completed, a final walk-through will be conducted to help ensure your satisfaction
If you or a loved one are dealing with the effects of a storm, know you can count on SERVPRO to take care of you and your home.
Need Help Spring Cleaning?
The weather in our area is finally starting to switch over to beautiful springtime. As we all know there is nothing better than a clean home in the spring. Allow our SERVPRO Professionals to help with your spring cleaning. We provide a number of helpful services;
- Before the process starts a SERVPRO Professional will help you make a comprehensive scope of the entire process, meeting your specific needs
- Professional duct cleaning services that will have your air conditioning system feeling like a fresh breeze
- Clean your carpeted floor and stairs, rugs, upholstered furniture, mattress, and drapes with our efficient extractors
- We also can help with odors with thermal or o-zone fogging, pet odor treatment also available
- Clean hard surface flooring with SERVPRO certified chemicals, doesn't leave streaks
- Wet wipe all baseboards, trims, countertops, doors, walls, cabinets, and windows
South Carolina's hurricane season runs from the beginning of June to the end of November, but can start and end later than these dates. We still have awhile before the season is said to start but it is never too early to be prepared. We compiled a few tips to help you protect your home or business;
- Prepare for wind
- Protect windows with storm-shutters or plywood
- Reinforce roof hurricane straps and ties
- Prepare for rain
- Clear gutters and drains to avoid blockages
- Have tarps ready
- Prepare for power outages
- Extra ice for perishables
- Generators can be extremely helpful
- Prepare for flooding
- Waterproof your basement or crawlspace
- Install sump pump
We hope you found these tips helpful and that this hurricane season you stay safe and dry.
Tips to Avoid Electrical Fires
Electrical fires originate in electric wires, cables, circuit breakers, or within electrical components and can cause twice the monetary damage as non-electrical fires, According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA.)
Common causes of electrical fires and ways to prevent them include:
- Poor Maintenance - performing regular maintenance on electrical panels will help reduce the risk of electrical fires.
- Old Equipment and Appliances - replacing outdated and faulty circuits within equipment and appliances helps reduce the risk of electrical fires.
- Not Following Safety Codes - make sure wiring matches the circuit amperage requirements and is free of any imperfections to help prevent electrical fires.
Don’t forget that working smoke detectors save lives. When these devices are present and properly maintained, they give you and yours precious time to react and escape in the event of a fire.
We hope these tips are helpful, and you never have to worry about mitigating after a fire, however if you find yourself in the midst of this, contact SERVPRO of Orangeburg. We will make it "Like it never even happened."
Every 18 seconds a fire occurs in the United States, SERVPRO understands the trauma of fire disasters. Here are some helpful fire and smoke damage tips;
- Limit movement in the structure to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets
- Keep hands clean, soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork
- Place dry, colorfast towels on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely, and prop doors open to help prevent odors
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances. Then protect with a light coating of lubricant
- Pour RV antifreeze into sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs if heat is off during freezing season
- Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until checked by trained professional
- Attempt to wash an walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting your local SERVPRO
- Consume any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat, or water. (They may be contaminated.)
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock.
It's the Water You Don't See
Any water damage in your home or business is bad,
There is no such thing as a small disaster. Especially when the water contains bacteria - or causes mold, rot and other unseen damage. Water damage can affect the value of your property. So before you get out the mop bucket and box fan to try and clean it up yourself, consider how this will affect your property in the long run.
Your SERVPRO Franchise Professional understands how disruptive unseen water damage can be for your home or business. For this reason, we offer 24-hour emergency response and, under normal circumstances, will have a trained, uniformed Franchise Professional on-site within four hours to begin emergency mitigation services. By responding quickly with a full line of water cleanup and restoration services, SERVPRO Professionals can help you regain control quickly while drying, deodorizing and protecting your property and contents.
So before you risk further damaging the value of the structure by attempting to clean up the mess yourself, call your local water damage cleanup and restoration specialists at SERVPRO, or dial 1-800-SERVPRO.
When Storms Arise
When storms arise everyone's filled with many hard questions;
- How bad will this storm be?
- What can I do to prepare?
- Will my property receive potential damages from this storm?
- Am I prepared enough for this storm event?
These are questions we tend to ask ourselves during times of inclement weather. Our homes, place of business and even churches are major parts of our everyday lives that we hope to protect, they can also act as shelters for us during these intense storms. Shelters can endure damages on the inside of the structure just as well as the exterior. In the Orangeburg area specifically, we endure a lot of flooding during such storms. SERVPRO, your local cleanup and restoration company, is available to help 24/7.
In the event of a Storm related damage, feel secure in knowing your local SERVPRO Franchise is always available to help make it 'Like it Never Even Happened."
National Leader in Storm Response
In the event of a major catastrophe, the SERVPRO Franchise System has a nationwide Large Loss Response Team comprised of trained and equipped professionals capable of responding to your facility. While most systems have a waiting list, you get priority service with SERVPRO. SERVPRO's Storm Response Team are prequalified and strategically positioned throughout the United States with substantial resources through a network of over 1,500 locations. Corporate oversight and communication on every file help to meet the predetermined client-specific needs. Immediate response, available 24/7/365 through 1-800-SERVPRO, will minimize interruptions.
- Strategically positioned Storm Teams on Standby
- Immediate Mobilization
- 1-800-SERVPRO - 24/7/365
- Mobile and Local Command Centers
- Commercial and Residential Losses Serviced
- Waiting Lists Minimized
No storm damage is too big for the SERVPRO System, when life's storms roll in, rely on us to make it "Like it never even happened."